Conference of Interpreter Trainers
Face to Face Board Meeting
May 31, 2013
Persons present: Leslie Greer, Richard Laurion, Cindy Volk, Jessica Bentley-Sassaman, Carole Lazorisak, Jimmy Beldon, Kimberly Hale, Annette Miner, (via videophone) Windell (Wink) Smith, Jr.
The meeting was opened at 6:30 pm MST by President, Leslie Greer.
2014 Conference Discussion
- Carole went to Portland and met with individuals at the Doubletree Hotel. It is near a large mall, many restaurants and on the train line.
- The Oregon/Alaska/Idaho rooms will be used for exhibitors. They can hold a total of 18 tables.
- Discussion about ideas for sponsors such as sponsoring a room, a podium, breaks, etc.
- Discussion regarding videostreaming the plenaries and the business meeting. Also perhaps one of the workshop tracks that has a focus on technology. Discussion regarding having two videostreaming prices. One for the plenaries and business meeting and one price for the workshop track.
- Discussion regarding how people watching on-line could potentially vote during the business meeting and the possibility of clicker voting. Polleverywhere.com is a website that allows individuals to vote via phone.
- Discussion regarding who will be the CEU sponsor. Discussion regarding separating out each session rather than a lump sum CEU amount.
- Discussion regarding potential tracks at the conference for research, a technology shareshop, teaching interpreting and teaching ASL. In the call for papers, indicate areas we are looking for and then determine if they fall into areas for specific tracks.
- Discussion regarding archiving the videostreaming from the conference.
- Discussion regarding potential individuals for plenary sessions and keynote.
- Discussion regarding conference theme.
Meeting adjourned at 10:30 pm MST.
Strategic planning sessions on June 1 and June 2.
Board meeting re-opened at 3pm MST on Sunday, June 2, 2013
All present, except Wink.
- Discussion about using googledocs for making changes to the strategic plan and dropbox for archiving documents.
- Discussion of January 2014 as a deadline for completion of the strategic planning document.
- The next face to face meeting will be in Portland on September 6 – 8. We will arrive in Portland on Thursday September 5th, meet all day the 6th, 7th, and until noon on the 8th.
- The next on-line meeting will be July 22 at 3pm EST. There will not be an on-line meeting in August.
- The conference theme for 2014 will be “Our Roots: The Essence of our Future.”. Discussion about a very early registration fee of before November 1, 2013, starting at $350.00.
- Discussion about two motions that are coming up at RID that could affect CIT. One is about having students being able to take the NIC test before they complete a BA, but having the certification held until they receive the degree. Lynne will poll the membership or have a discussion board for their opinion about this and then Leslie will let people at the RID convention know about the pulse of the CIT membership on this motion.
- April, 2013 minutes were approved.
- The board approved the new advertising rates. This will be effective July 1, 2013. (B2013:08) They are as follows:
|Proposed Advertising Rates|
|Individuals or Non-Member Institutions||Words or Length||<100 words||101-200 words||>201 words|
|< 1 minute||1 min – 2 mins||> 2 minutes|
Note: 10% discount will be given for 3 consecutive advertisements.
20% discount for monthly advertisements running not less than 6 months.
9. The board approved the new membership rates. Those who are retired and wish voting rights will pay the full member dues. They will be effective November 1, 2013. (B2013:09) They are as follows:
Proposed Rate for One Year
Proposed Two-Year Rate
|Full Member (Voting)||
The meeting was adjourned at 5:31 PM MST.