Different colored avatars sitting around a circular conference table with puzzle pieces in their hands

Minutes – February 2014

CIT Face to Face Board Meeting

       February 21-22, 2014

           Tucson, Arizona

Present: Leslie Greer, Jimmy Beldon, Richard Laurion, Cindy Volk, Carole Lazorisak, Wink Smith, Samond Bishara, Kimberly Hale. Participating via FaceTime: Jessica Bentley –Sassaman

Meeting started at 1:08 pm on February 21, 2014

October 2013, November 2013, December 2013, and January 2014 minutes were approved.

 

President Report – Leslie Greer

 

  1. Update on ASLTA.
  2. Discussion about having a postcard to hand out to presenters at the NAD , ASLTA, Deaf Studies and RID regional conferences this summer letting them know about CIT. Offer them a free membership to CIT including the member discount for the 2014 CIT conference for the rest of this year (that is until October 31, 2014) Motion approved (B2014:02).
  3. Linda Bozeman was informed that we have chosen Lexington, KY as the location for the 2016 CIT conference.
  4. Decision that all board members will fly into Portland on Sunday, October 26. Board will work on Monday October 27 – Wednesday, October 29.
  5. According to the by-laws, the incoming and outgoing board members need to have a meeting before leaving the conference. This meeting will take place on Sunday morning, November 2 or earlier if possible.
  6. The board approved the contract from Parliamentarian Libby Pollard for the 2014 conference. (B2014:03).
  7. The board approved having Carole Lazorisak represent CIT at the Mental Health Interpreter Institute August 4 – 8 of 2014. The registration is waived. CIT will pay for airfare and hotel. (B2014:04)
  8. Decision to have the board members introduce presenters at the conference.
  9. Discussion about who from the CIT board will attend each RID Regional Conference.       Region 1: still need someone, Region 2: Wink, Region 3: Richard, Region 4: Richard, Region 5: Annette or Cindy

 

Vice-President Report – Jimmy Beldon

 

  1. The by-laws committee first meeting will be on Feb 26. Discussion about having email voting regarding the by-laws take place before the conference in October.
  2. Discussion about the CIT-ASLTA MOU and the CIT-RID MOU.       Jessica, Carole and Jimmy are on the committee for the ASLTA MOU. For the RID MOU the committee is Jimmy, Richard and Carole.

 

Secretary Report- Cindy Volk

 

  1. The board approved that CIT partner with Street Leverage for the Media and PR at CIT’s 2014 Portland conference. (B2014:04) Email motion: passed January 5, 2014.
  2. The board approved that CIT purchase pedometers and prizes for the CIT 2014 conference. (B2014:05) Email motion:       passed January 5, 2014.
  3. The board approved that for any information that CIT is asked to display on a side table at the conference, we charge $50.       This would include display information of a bulletin board notice or print material stacked on a table.       For information put into participant conference bags, the charge will be $100. (B2014:06) Email motion: passed on January 29, 2014
  4. The board approved that the latest contract from the DoubleTree Hotel in Portland, Oregon for the 2014 CIT conference be approved. (B2014:07). Email motion: passed on February 5, 2014.
  5. The board approved that CIT honor deceased members via a slide show at the conference and welcome any honorary scholarship donations. We will ask those who knew the deceased to provide a 1 minute powerpoint to the CIT secretary in his/her honor. (B2014: 08)
  6. The board approved the following cancellation policy regarding the conference.

 

All cancellations must be in writing. Registrations may not be transferred.

Cancellation Postmarked Refund Amount

By 6/15/14 – 75%

By 9/8/14 – 50%

After 9/8/14 – 0%

Unrefunded amounts can be used toward CIT membership or streaming access to the conference. (B2014:09

  1. The board approved covering the conference registration fees for those board members who do not have institutional or company support. (B2014:10)
  2. Discussion about using google docs for email motions

Treasurer Report – Richard Laurion

  1. There is approximately $126,000 total in all CIT accounts.
  2. Discussion of the costs related to the pro-tactile pre conference.
  3. Richard is investigating having a 501c3 for CIT. We currently have a 501c6.

Director of Communication and Technology- Wink Smith

  1. The CIT website update is compatible for the phone now.       The old website is still up and running for now but at a later date only the new website will be available.

Director of Research and Publications- Kimberly Hale

  1. Kimberly has established a proceedings committee.       She sent out a call for editors and we have not had any replies.   Discussion regarding needing both an English editor and an ASL editor.
  2. Kimberly is working on making sure all groups/libraries/ individuals who ordered a journal got one.

 

Director of Membership Report- Jessica Bentley-Sassaman

  1. Discussion about motions to be made at the business meeting.
  2. Discussion about institutional membership.
  3. Discussion about Standing Rules for the business meeting. These need to be approved at the beginning of the business meeting and published in the program book.

 

Director of Professional Development Report – Carole Lazorisak

  1. Discussion about the trip to the Oregon School for the Deaf Nightmare Factory
  2. Discussion about the opening and closing ceremonies.
  3. Discussion about the possibility of having forums on hot topics related to the field of interpreting during the time slot after lunch.
  4. Discussion about the program book.

 

Adjourned at 10:15 am on Saturday, February 22. The rest of the day was spent on conference planning.