Minutes – April 2012

CIT Board Meeting
April 15, 2012
Official Minutes

Meeting opened at 5:04pm EST
Present: President Brian Morrison, Vice President Carla Mathers, Treasurer Richard Laurion, Secretary Liz Mendoza, Director of Professional Development Gino Gouby, Director or Public Relations and Outreach Leslie Greer and Director of Research Publications Annette Miner.
Not present: Director of Technology Lynne Wiesman and Director of Membership Julie Simon

  1. Approval of Minutes: Passed.
  2. President’s Report (Brian Morrison):
    1. Will meet with stakeholders to see if they want a breakout session at the conference
  3. Vice President’s Report (Carla Mathers):
    1. ASLTA got its 501c3 status.
    2. Philosophy Committee- will meet in MD and wants Leslie and Gino to participate to have more than one Board member on the Committee (see New Business).
  4. Treasurer’s Report (Richard Laurion):
    1. Financial request – Director of Membership has requested financial support to meet with Webmaster Doug Bowen-Bailey to discuss membership forms and other related membership planning.
  5. Secretary’s Report (Liz Mendoza): no report
  6. Director Reports:
    1. Membership (Julie Simon): Current membership numbers*:

Full Member (voting) – 251 (230)
First-time Full Member (voting) – 9 (8)
Associate Member (non-voting) -30 (26)
First-time Associate (non-voting) – 8 (6)
International Member (non-voting) – 32 (31)
First-time International Member (non-voting) – 1 (1)
Retired (non-voting) – 11 (9)
Institutional Member (non-voting) -16 (16)
Total: 358
* Numbers in parentheses indicate the membership count on March 2, 2012.

Previous total: 327.  This is an increase of 31 memberships, 21 of which were Full memberships.

  1. Status of mailing to lapsed members: Letters were mailed to 322 lapsed members inviting them to rejoin the organization.  Seven envelopes were returned by the Post Office with forwarding addresses and 25 envelopes were returned as “unable to forward/deliver.”
  2. Membership packet distribution: Membership packets will be distributed during several upcoming conferences.  The target audience will be people who are presenting at the conferences but who may not be current members of CIT.   Packets will be sent to CIT Board members for distribution at the following conferences:

RID Region I – Brian
RID Region II – Lynne
RID Region III – Richard
RID Region IV –
RID Region V – Liz, Carla, Gino
TSID – Lynne
Healthcare Symposium – Richard

    1. Research and Publications (Annette Miner):
      1. Journal update: Editorial Board originally agreed to serve three years and are in their last year. They will decide if they want to continue for another three years.
    2. Technology (Lynne Weisman):
      1. No report
    3. Public Relations and Outreach (Leslie Greer):
      1. No report
    4. Professional Development (Gino Gouby):
      1. No report
  1. Conference Update:
    1. Keynote speaker – Mark Taylor will present the first half of his keynote speech then after lunch do the second half of the keynote.
    2. Plenary speakers – Carolyn Ball and Melissa Malzkhun.
    3. Pre-conference workshops- There is some confusion about what people knew when applying for these slots. Annette will work with Anna Witter-Merithew to clarify any confusion.
    4. Entertainment proposal—There will be no entertainment at the banquet.
  2. National Task Force on Deaf-Blind interpreting – There is a vacancy and Brian will send out a call on email to recruit a replacement.
  3. LIMS Train-the-Trainer request: From Pasch McCombs, reported by Liz. Pasch wants to partner with CIT to provide a “Train-the-Trainer” series. He will be requested to write up a summary and present it to the Board before the next meeting.
  4. New Business:
    1. Carla moved (Leslie) that CIT bring Leslie and Gino into the July meeting in Maryland, July 14th and 15th.
    2. Leslie moved (Richard) to accept the policy for Conference Committee Chairs that states: “i. Conference Committee Chairs who are required to arrive on site one-day or more prior to the conference start, work during the conference and prepare a report following the conference will have their registration waived (including applicable meals) and be provided 1/2 half of their room nights while on site. ii. Conference Committee Chairs providing work up to the conference date or following the conference will have their conference registration (including applicable meals) waived.” Passed unanimously.
  5. Adjourned at 6:38pm EST

MEETING SCHEDULE–
SUNDAY, MAY 13th at 5:00 PM EST
SUNDAY, JUNE 10th at 5:00 PM EST