The University of Arizona is pleased to announce an opening for a 1.0 FTE position for an Associate Professor of Practice (Non-Tenure Track) in Deaf Studies and Educational Interpreting to begin August 2019. Our Deaf Studies and Educational Interpreting Program is nationally recognized, includes 7 full-time faculty, more than 500 students taking ASL courses, and 50 students with majors in the subject.
Duties, Responsibilities, Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive knowledge of Deaf culture, fluency in ASL
- Effective teaching, leadership, research, service, and budget management
- Proven ability to develop collaborative internal and external partnerships
- Proficiency in identifying and writing applications for grants
- A strong commitment to diversity and proven leadership in bilingual/bicultural educational settings
- Experience with student recruitment
- Teaching load of 3 courses per semester
Applicants should meet all of the following requirements:
- PhD in interpreting, linguistics, ASL, intercultural communication, education, foreign language
- instruction, or an appropriately related field
- ABD would be considered
- Must hold a current certification from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) and/or
- American Sign Language Teacher Association (ASLTA)
- A minimum of three years relevant teaching experience
- Experience teaching college level courses via face-to-face methodology
- Experience working with students from diverse cultures
- Evidence of scholarship, national and state leadership
- Familiarity with the CCIE accreditation expectations
- Experience or willingness to become proficient in grant writing and administration
- Strong interpersonal skills in collaboration across the academic community as well as the Deaf community
- Extensive knowledge and experience with interpreter and ASL education and resources
College of Education.
The UA College of Education is situated at the nexus of research and scholarship and the world of professional practice. The College brings strong theoretical foundations and research methods that contribute to improved quality of education practice. Through research, instruction, and outreach, the College engages in programs to generate new knowledge about education, prepares the next generation of educators and leaders, and engages educational and community groups to enhance education for all stakeholders. The College partners with colleagues across the University of Arizona campus, in the education and business sectors, and with government and nonprofit agencies to leverage resources and affect change. We have a strong commitment to working with the K-12 education community in developing professional preparation programs, joint research efforts, and effective, mutually beneficial partnerships.
Tucson, Arizona. Tucson is culturally diverse, rich in natural beauty, and home to many recreational resources, hundreds of miles of hiking trails, bike lanes, and parks. University of Arizona faculty and students appreciate a strong sense of place shared by the campus community, enjoying the recreational and cultural activities Tucson has to offer, our gorgeous sunsets, majestic mountain ranges, and 284 days of sunshine each year. New faculty members quickly develop a deep appreciation for the culture and traditions of Tucson and the community’s commitment to creating economic opportunity while honoring and protecting its natural resources.
The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA-MV/W/D Employer. We value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
For more information, contact Cindy Volk (email@example.com)