Tenure Track Faculty
Job Title: Faculty Job ID: 19176
Department: Department of Interpretation and Translation Full/Part Time: Full-Time
DEPARTMENT OF INTERPRETATION AND TRANSLATION
TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, BUSINESS, AND HUMAN SERVICES
POSITION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
Gallaudet University serves deaf and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
The Department of Interpretation and Translation at Gallaudet University consists of a variety of degree programs – Bachelors of Interpretation (BAI), Masters of Interpretation (MAI), and Doctor of Philosophy in Translation and Interpreting Studies. In these programs, students engage in courses that advance their professional skills and theoretical knowledge of the field of Translation and Interpreting Studies in signed language interpreting, with a focus on American Sign Language-English interpreting.
- Earned doctoral degree in a language-related discipline (Interpreting, Translation, Linguistics) or a terminal degree in a related specialization (e.g., Law, Anthropology, Sociology, Education, Psychology) (preferred).
- Applicants who have completed their doctoral program coursework and are currently engaged in dissertation research may also be considered for a pre-tenure track faculty appointment.
- Experience in teaching American Sign Language-English interpreting and/or translation (e.g., theory, skills, professional practice, history of profession).
- Knowledge and expertise about research methodologies.
- Excellent American Sign Language (ASL) skills, including the ability to lecture and conduct daily department business in ASL, at the time of application.
- Evidence of scholarly activity and service in the field of signed language interpretation and translation, or signed language pedagogy or linguistics.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- RID, CASLI (AVLIC ), or ASLTA certification OR documented equivalent for international applicants (preferred).
- Experience serving on dissertation committees (preferred).
- Experience as an interpreter/translator practitioner (preferred).
This position is a full time, nine-month faculty appointment. The hired faculty member will be responsible for fulfilling duties in three areas – teaching, scholarship, and service – in accordance with the University’s Faculty Handbook.
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the department.
- Mentor, guide, and advise students.
- Engage in scholarship and program development in interpreting or translation.
- Participate in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the chair.
Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Your materials should be sent electronically to the following email address:
A complete application contains the following materials:
- Letter of application addressing qualifications
- Curriculum vita (including information about prior courses taught and, if available, copies of teaching evaluations)
- Samples of academic publications (if available)
- Three letters of reference demonstrating qualifications for the position
- Official graduate transcripts (Must be mailed. See instructions below.)
The Search Committee will continue to receive and review applications until the position is filled. Questions may be addressed to the DoIT Faculty Search Committee at DOITsearchcommittee@gallaudet.edu
Note: Official transcripts of graduate work must be mailed to:
Department of Interpreting and Translation
800 Florida Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002-3695