Location: Framingham, MA Category: Faculty Posted On: Tue Jun 2 2020
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Department of World Languages at Framingham State University is accepting applications for a full-time temporary two-year (24-month) faculty position in the American Sign Language (ASL) Program, with concentrations in ASL/English Interpreting and in Deaf Studies.
The successful candidate will teach ASL and Deaf Studies courses to prepare undergraduate students for professional careers as interpreters or as personnel in Deaf services agencies, residential programs, and educational and human service settings requiring fluency in ASL. In addition to teaching, the candidate is responsible for academic advising of students, and participation in departmental and committee activities.
The chosen candidate will teach the following courses in fall 2020: ASGN 101, Elementary American Sign Language I, ASGN 201 Intermediate American Sign Language I, DFST 236 Social Justice and the Deaf Community. In spring 2021, courses will be: ASGN 101 Elementary ASL I, ASGN 202 Intermediate ASL III and one additional course in interpreting or Deaf Studies. Instruction in the fall may be conducted online per state directives to be established.
The position begins September 1, 2020.
- Masters Degree in ASL Education, Deaf Studies, ASL Linguistics, ASL/English Interpreting, Deaf Education, or a closely related field
- Three years minimum teaching experience within an ASL program at the college/university level
- Expert knowledge in ASL education and second-language (L2) instruction, or ASL linguistics, ASL literature, Deaf culture, interpreting, social justice
- Fluency in ASL as demonstrated with a minimum score of 4.0 on the ASL Proficiency Interview (ASLPI) or equivalent assessment.
- Experience with, or a demonstrated willingness to, participate in teaching, mentoring, research, or service activities that promote the growth of an equitable, diverse, and inclusive academic environment.
- PhD or EdD in ASL Education, Deaf Studies, ASL Linguistics, ASL/English Interpreting, Deaf Education, or a closely related field.
This is a full-time, temporary, exempt, benefits-eligible position in the Massachusetts State College Association (MSCA) bargaining unit at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with experience in accordance with Appendix O of the MSCA contract (http://mscaunion.org/day-and-dgce-contracts/)
This position is contingent upon sufficient enrollments, as determined in the sole discretion of the University, and the University’s lifting of current operational restrictions due to the ongoing pandemic and public health emergency.
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/vypv7fd5j6sxnpr4