JOB TITLE: ASL Staff Interpreter
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: ARLINGTON, TX
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT: The Deaf Bible Society seeks to work where it is evident that God is working and where the uniqueness of its vision makes it most feasible for Deaf Bible Society to be involved.
VISION:Motivated by the Great Commission, we seek to reveal the hope of the Gospel in Jesus Christ, so that every Deaf person has the opportunity to receive, experience, and share it.
MISSION: To provide God’s Word in Every Sign Language
PILLARS:We focus on: Deaf Awareness, Education, Access, and Funding to advance Sign Language Bible translations and to engage Deaf people groups with the Gospel.
SCOPE: The American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter will provide interpreting services to all members of Deaf Bible Society. An ideal candidate will possess skills in ASL to English and English to ASL interpreting, demonstrate competence as a cultural mediator, and work collaboratively with other interpreters and DBS staff. Knowledge of and adherence to the Code of Professional Conduct of the Registry for the Interpreters of the Deaf is essential.
- Interpret for Deaf and hearing staff in a variety of situations and settings
- Demonstrate skills as a linguistic and cultural mediator
- Willing to travel, knowledge of international Sign Languages a plus
- Support the vision and mission of Deaf Bible Society through performance of essential functions
- Coordinate interpreter schedule and determine the need for additional interpreting services based upon the needs of the attendees and assignment complexity
- Develop trainings/workshops, special projects
- Work collaboratively on projects and assignments unrelated to interpreting
- Clerical work, support services, other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Arts degree (preferred); Associates of Arts degree accepted
- 10+ years of experience in lieu of formal degree
- Two or more years of experience interpreting with degree
- Possess or have the ability to obtain state or national certification
- Initiative – asks for and offers help when needed;
- Innovation – meets challenges with resourcefulness; introduce new ideas for project design;
- Judgment – includes appropriate people in decision making process, makes timely decisions, supports and explains reasoning for decisions;
- Sign Language Communication – “listens” and gets clarification; responds well to questions; able to present to a group with clarity and confidence
- Written Communication – creates clear, concise communiqués using appropriate grammar and correct spelling;
- Analysis – able to analyze assigned projects and make appropriate decisions regarding what actions are to be taken;
- Business Acumen – understand the essence of the business model in the context of the environment; uses proper procedures and processes within areas of responsibility;
- Team Work – balances team and individual responsibilities; builds relationships with partners to fulfill project goals;
- Ethics – treat people with respect, keeps commitments, works ethically and with integrity, upholds organizational values;
- Servant’s Attitude – responds promptly to client and constituent needs, responds to request for service and assistance.
To apply, see: