Rochester Institute of Technology
Department of Access Services
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Hugh L. Carey Hall
97 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
The Department of Access Services (DAS) at RIT/NTID seeks candidates to join the largest staff of interpreters working in postsecondary education. RIT/NTID is a dynamic, language-rich environment of 1,500 deaf students, staff and faculty on a campus of 18,000 students. DAS boasts a phenomenal professional development program that offers over 400 hours of PD annually. Interpreters earn competitive wages, and enjoy a benefits package that is second to none in our industry. The interpreting component of Access Services is organized into five interpreting teams: 1) Science and Health Sciences and Technologies, 2) Liberal Arts, 3) Imagining Arts & Sciences, 4) Business, Computing & Information Sciences, and 5) NTID, Engineering and Applied Science and Technologies. Interpreters work primarily in the specialized content areas of their teams, which correspond with the nine colleges of RIT.
Staff Interpreter Responsibilities
- Provide interpreting services to RIT students, faculty, and staff
- Engage in preparation and effective customer relations
- Interpret signed and spoken discourse in classroom and non-academic assignments, with clients who use a wide variety of language modalities. (An interpreting/transliterating skills assessment is part of the interview process)
- Assess language needs of all clientele and adjust interpreting to ensure accurate and effective communication
- Meet with clientele, preview available materials, and research additional resources to prepare for assignments; confirm all assignments with consumers
- Attend department meetings, engage in, devise, develop, and implement a professional development plan with input and guidance from your team manager
- Maintain accurate time cards via time reporting system
- Communicate in a professional manner in all settings
Access Services hires interpreters whose skills range from entry level to senior level. A candidate’s experience, language proficiency, and interpreting skill are considered before hiring into the Apprentice, Associate, or Interpreter rank.
Requirements include but are not limited to:
- • An Associates, Bachelors or Masters level degree OR 3 years of Professional Interpreting Experience
- • Proficiency in American Sign Language and English
Questions may be directed to: Dr. Rico Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position (Interpreter), or the BR number (3451BR).
You are welcome to submit an E-Portfolio as well. Please send those to email@example.com
Application deadline is November 10, 2017.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources.
RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion in the workplace. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.
RIT provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424, or email your request to Careers@rit.edu. Determinations on request for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.