Department of Interpretation and Translation
Job Title: Tenure Track Faculty Job ID: 17165
Department: Department of Interpretation and Translation Full/Part Time: Full-Time
DEPARTMENT OF INTERPRETATION AND TRANSLATION
TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, BUSINESS, AND HUMAN SERVICES
POSITION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
Gallaudet University serves deaf, hearing, and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf and hard of hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
- Earned a doctorate degree in a language-related field preferred. Terminal degree in a specialization such as medicine, law, anthropology, translation, sociology, education, and psychology would be considered.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching American Sign Language/English interpreting through submitted student evaluations, course-related materials, and documents of innovative teaching techniques.
- Knowledge about content and pedagogy in interpreting education.
- Ability to lecture and conduct daily department business in American Sign Language (at time of application). An ASLPI score of 4 or and SLPI ASL rating of Advanced Plus is preferred. For applicants who use a signed language other than American Sign Language, an ASLPI score of 3, a SLPI rating of Intermediate Plus, or approval from an internal departmental language evaluation is required.
- Evidence of scholarly activity and service in the field of signed language interpretation or translation and or signed language linguistics.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Currently holds RID certification, AVLIC certification or other national sign language interpretation certification, and/or ASLTA certification (or documented equivalent for international applicants).
Adhere to faculty responsibilities as outlined by the university and departmental guidelines, including:
- Teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses.
- Supervising students through academic advising and professional mentoring.
- Engaging in scholarly activities including research, presentations, and program development.
- Participating in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
Assistant Professor or higher. Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Send a letter of application, curriculum vita, official graduate transcripts, and three letters of reference demonstrating quality of interpreting experience, teaching interpretation, and/or American Sign Language, and scholarly activity to:
The Department of Interpretation and Translation Search Committee
800 Florida Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002-3695